Academic Merit Scholarships
The following scholarships are awarded to a limited number of incoming freshmen based on grade point average, class rank, standardized test scores, or similar criteria. Consideration for these awards is automatic, and no additional applications are required.
- Alumni Distinguished Scholarship
- Awarded to the top 15 candidates based on intellectual performance and participation in the MSU Alumni Distinguished Scholarship competition. Invitations to compete in the examination are sent to the most outstanding students who apply for admission by November 1. Renewable over eight semesters**, these scholarships include tuition, fees, room and board (double occupancy in an MSU residence hall and silver meal plan), and $1,000 annually. Four of the 15 awards have special designations:
- Baldwin Foundation Alumni Distinguished Scholarship
- James E. Nordberg Distinguished Scholarship
- Hanna M. Rasmussen Memorial Scholarship
- Guy G. Speeker Alumni Distinguished Scholarship
- Distinguished Freshman Scholarship
- Awarded to 20 runners-up in the Alumni
Distinguished Scholarship competition; includes tuition and fees for eight semesters**.
- Alumni Distinguished Scholarship Commended Finalist
- Awarded to 30 finalists
in the Alumni Distinguished Scholarship competition; $2,500 per year for eight
- Alumni Distinguished Scholarship Commended Semi-Finalist
- Awarded to 65
semi-finalists in the Alumni Distinguished Scholarship competition; $1,500 per
year for eight semesters**.
- MSU National Merit Scholarship
- Awarded to National Merit Finalists who name MSU as their
first-choice institution; $750 to $2,000 annually, depending on financial need;
those receiving $2,000 nonrenewable awards are guaranteed supplemental awards
from $250 to $1,500 annually, renewable for eight semesters**.
- Merit Recognition Scholarship
to a limited number of non-Michigan residents who are National Merit Finalists and name MSU as their first-choice institution;
includes $4,000 annually plus room and board in an MSU residence hall (double occupancy in an MSU residence hall and silver meal plan; students with sophomore academic standing or higher, who have lived for a minimum of one year in an MSU residence hall, are eligible to live in an on-campus apartment and receive the residence hall double occupancy award plus the silver meal plan, based on space and class standing; off-campus housing is not included in this award), renewable for eight semesters**.
- MSU Special Merit Scholarship
- Awarded to a limited number of Michigan residents who are National Merit Finalists and name MSU as their first-choice institution; $2,000 annually, renewable for eight consecutive semesters of undergraduate enrollment.
- Honors College National Scholarship
- Awarded to out-of-state Honors College
invitees who are U.S. citizens or permanent aliens, or citizens of Canada or Mexico;
$15,000 annually for eight semesters**. To be automatically invited to the Honors College, applicants must be in the top 5 percent of their graduating class and have an ACT composite score of 30 or above or SAT combined score (critical reading and math) of 1360 or above. Students possessing achievements just below these standards are screened by the Honors College admissions committee and may be asked to submit additional information before being considered for Honors College membership.
- Honors College Tuition Grant
- Awarded to out-of-state Honors College invitees who have been offered a Professorial Assistantship. Grant equalizes tuition and fees to the rate charged to Michigan residents, renewable for eight semesters**.
- Honors College STATE Scholarship
- Awarded to in-state Honors College invitees
who have been offered a Professorial Assistantship; $5,000 annually, renewable for eight semesters**.
- Professorial Assistantship
- Awarded to Honors College invitees with exceptional academic records; $2,500 stipend for faculty-mentored research or scholarly activity, renewable for four semesters.** For more information about the Professorial Assistantship program, including eligibility criteria, visit MSU's Honors College online.
- A. Gordon Adams, Jr. Alumni Distinguished Scholar Award
- Awarded to a participant in the
Alumni Distinguished Scholarship competition.
- Academic Merit Scholarship-Catherine Hooper Fredin Award
- Awarded to a
National Merit Scholar interested in majoring in science and technological fields.
- Albert E. and Audrey Vincent Gilpin Scholarship Award for Outstanding
- Awarded to four National Merit finalists who participate in the Alumni
Distinguished Scholarship competition.
- Lewis W. Kaminga Alumni Scholar Award
- Awarded to a limited number of Honors College invitees with outstanding academic records and superior performance on standardized tests.
**Fall and spring semesters during undergraduate enrollment
*Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to read PDF documents.