Transfer Admission Criteria
Admission as a transfer student is based on consistent academic performance, including all grades, courses, and attempts at all previously attended institutions. Applicants with a GPA below 2.0 are not admissible.
Transfer students are required to have:
- Completion of one year of English composition equivalent to Michigan State’s Writing, Rhetoric and American Cultures course Writing: Science and Technology (WRA 110). This equivalent must be completed at least one full semester before the desired term of enrollment at MSU
- Completion of a math course equivalent to MSU’s Intermediate Algebra (MTH 1825) course or higher; College Algebra (MTH 103) is preferred. This equivalent must be completed at least one full semester before the desired term of enrollment at MSU
The above requirements alone do not guarantee admission; consideration is stronger for applicants who have completed:
- 28 or more credits deemed transferable to MSU (students with fewer than 28 transferable credits must have official ACT or SAT testing information sent to our office, along with an official final high school transcript)
- 3.0 GPA or higher, with consistent grade performance
- Requirements for limited enrollment majors where necessary
Students with 42 or more credits completed must select a major; the majors of no preference, premedical, prenursing, preoptometry and preveterinary cannot be chosen.
Certain limited enrollment majors have additional admission requirements.
*Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to read PDF documents.