Skip navigation links

Non-degree applicants

If you would like to take an MSU course for credit but do not wish to enter into a degree-granting program, you should apply to the university as a Lifelong Education student. The Lifelong Education program is ideal for members of the community and for college students enrolled at other institutions who want to take an MSU course for credit.

A variety of undergraduate and graduate courses are available both on and off campus and through MSU’s Study Abroad program. Lifelong Education students are also eligible to participate in MSU’s Summer Study programs.

To enroll in credit courses as a visitor on a noncredit basis, view the visitor status policy provided by the Office of the Registrar.

Guest students include high school students wishing to dual enroll at MSU.

Lifelong Education

You must meet certain criteria for admittance into the Lifelong Education program, and you must be admitted as a Lifelong Education student before enrolling for classes. To learn more and begin the admission process, complete the Lifelong Education application.

Students currently enrolled in a degree-granting program at another college or university who would like to take courses at MSU as a guest student should apply for Lifelong Education status. This also applies to students attending other institutions who wish to participate in a Study Abroad program at Michigan State.

Lifelong Education students are not eligible for most sources of financial assistance, including federal financial assistance programs, graduate assistantships and most fellowships with the exception of the Mildred B. Erickson Scholarship. For information call (517) 353-5940 or email

Dual enroll at MSU
Summer Study
Online continuing education