Obtain your I-20 or DS-2019

If you will be studying in the United States on an F-1 or J-1 student visa, you will need to submit the $250 Advanced Enrollment Deposit (AED) and show adequate proof of financial support in order for Michigan State University to issue you appropriate documents to obtain a student visa (I-20 or DS-2019). Once you have received your I-20 or DS-2019 from MSU, it will be necessary to apply for a student visa to study in the U.S.

Financial proof consists of:

  • A signed Affidavit of Support
  • A supporting bank statement per instructions on the affidavit showing an amount equal to or greater than the first year's total expenses

You should upload both documents showing financial proof via your account after you have submitted your $250 AED. Note: Sending these documents in paper form will delay processing your I-20 or DS-2019.

International students currently residing outside the United States

Once you have completed the steps above, you will receive an email from Michigan State University's third-party shipping provider, e-Ship Global, with instructions detailing how to receive your immigration document via express mail. You should follow the instructions in this email to select delivery options for your I-20. You MUST utilize e-Ship Global to receive your I-20, and you must use e-Ship Global's website. Do not contact DHL, UPS or FedEx directly. Receiving your immigration documents is at your expense.

SEVIS transfer students

If you are transferring to MSU from another U.S. institution (high school, community college, university, etc.), are currently in F-1 or J-1 status, and need an MSU I-20 or DS-2019, you must complete the SEVIS transfer process. MSU cannot issue these documents until that process is complete. Please follow these instructions in order to receive new immigration documents from Michigan State University.

SEVIS information and fee

For information about the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), please visit MSU's Office for International Students and Scholars.

Changing visa status

If you are a student requesting immigration documentation that does not correspond to your current visa status, you need to change your visa status. Receiving an I-20 or DS-2019 does not automatically change your status to an F-1 or J-1 student.

Provisionally admitted students

If you are a provisionally admitted student, MSU will initially issue your I-20 for “Language Training” in compliance with U.S. Federal regulations. The remarks section on the I-20 will indicate the major preference you will pursue once you fulfill MSU’s English language proficiency requirement. MSU will still classify you as an undergraduate student in your requested major preference; you will live on campus in residence halls with other MSU students and have full access to MSU facilities and support services.

Upon meeting MSU’s English language proficiency requirement, MSU’s Office for International Students and Scholars will issue you a new I-20 for undergraduate study in your requested major preference for the duration of your studies at Michigan State University.

For more information about arriving as a provisionally admitted students, visit the OISS website.